Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I'm boycotting shampoo.

A few weeks ago, my friend Bethy posted a link to this article, which presents the merits of going extended periods of time between shampoos. I was intrigued, and I decided to jump on the bandwagon. As of today, I've gone 2.5 weeks washing my hair only on Sundays. The article emphasizes the cost and environmental benefits of "no-poo", but I am honestly most interested in seeing if re-introducing my hair to some of its natural oils will result in healthier, less frizzy hair over time. Maybe I'll even be able to lessen my reliance on my beloved Chi.

Here's a peek into my new routine:

Sunday: Wash hair; dry and straighten. No styling products used. (I know, I'm frying my hair.) Here's my hair's starting point:

Monday: No wash or rinse. Alternatively, rinse only. No styling products.
Tuesday: Rinse; dry and straighten. No styling products.
Wednesday: Rinse; dry naturally. (This results in disheveled hippie waves. I title this picture "Brutal Honesty"; yes, I'm in workout clothes with no make-up.)

Or, rinse; dry and straighten, and apply dry shampoo. This is the dry shampoo I'm using:

I purchased it at Ulta specifically for this adventure. I would recommend it for no-wash days even if you aren't going a week between washings.
Thursday: No wash or rinse if I can pull it off; or rinse, dry and straighten plus dry shampoo.
Friday: Rinse, dry and straighten plus dry shampoo.
Saturday: Rinse. Leave hair wavy/curly but use a curl-enhancing product (since I wash the next day).

My thoughts so far:
Firstly, this saves a good amount of time 4-5 days out of the week. So, yay! Monday-Wednesday I love, but by Friday and Saturday, my hair ends up in a ponytail. I'm hopeful that my hair is still adjusting, but right now, I'm not sure I could attend a "going out" function on Friday or Saturday without cheating and washing my hair. I do think my hair is starting to be slightly less frizzy between drying and straightening, so that is progress.

Right now, I plan to stick this out at least 2-3 more weeks to allow my hair ample time to adjust. I'm still hopeful that I can shift to weekly hair washing permanently. However, I'm spoiled to work from home, so I can experiment more without having to look "office ready" each day. Long term, at minimum, I plan to return to a "wash every three days", which I can definitely handle, and I do think improves the condition of my hair.

Anybody else want to jump on the bandwagon with me?

8 comments:

  1. Yay for no-poo! And congrats to you for washing just once a week. I have to admit, I haven't gotten down that low. I've done twice a week. Plus I was my bangs pretty much every other day because they sit on my forehead all day and end up quite greasy. (Ew, TMI.) Anyway, I think I should try the dry shampoo you have, because I don't like the stuff I've got. End comment tirade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love dry shampoo! I also just condition somedays and don't wash or rinse at all other days. I have thick short hair which sometimes can not be tamed and pony tails are not an option. I'm anxious to hear how your experiment turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been over nine months since I shampoo (or a straightener) has touched my long, ultra thick, very curly (translate - SUPER frizzy) hair. I use conditioner (all natural - organinc) as my cleanser as well as for my leave-in conditioner. Unfortunately, I HAVE to wet and recondition my hair (in order to present some sort of civilized mess) to the public everyday...which does nothing to reduce the amount of time I spend on it. I might actually be spending more time on it daily than ever, however, I don't have the added time of straightening it...so that's a plus. On the upside, my hair is the healthiest it's ever been! I haven't had a hair cut in about 10 months and STILL have no split ends!

    I don't know if just using conditioner is helping the environment any but hopefully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I will be jumping on this bandwagon with you but it does sound interesting. Question, maybe a silly one but, doesn't your hair stink? Does the dry shampoo take care of that? What about after you work out?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, I go every other day without washing or rinsing, but past that I just can't stand it! My hair feels dirty, and yes, Sommer, mine smells! It's especially bad if I've done a lot of cooking. EW! I'll see how you feel in a few more weeks and if you are as passionate about it as I am about coupons, then I'll try. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel the need to admit that today Brandon (the hubs) told me, "Your hair looks greasy." He said it kindly, but obviously, I still have some tweaking to do in this process!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my third day without washing..but my head itches..it smells like baby powder because it is LOADED with it. You are a stronger woman than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Laurin go every other day with out washing or rinsing. In the summer I change it up a little bit more. I wash and straigten one day with a little product. Then just rinse the next day and add curling product. The third day I rinse condition and then add curling product if necessary. Then on day four I wash again.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts.