Thursday, April 14, 2011

On the topic of fashion -

In anticipation of my birthday, I asked my ever adorable husband for permission to purchase a full-price shirt from Anthropologie. I'm in love with their stuff; when I lived in Atlanta, I spent too much money (Oh, if I'd saved it instead!) and time wandering the store (I'm definitely a wander-shopper. I walk through the store/department two or three times browsing, pausing occasionally, before I feel confident enough to make a decision to purchase something or leave.). I used to be known among my friends as "one of the fashionable ones."

Sadly, when I got married and moved, I moved away from Anthropologie, and I moved into my work-from-home lifestyle. Honestly, there is no longer any justifiable need to buy tons of clothes. I don't laze around in my pajamas all day, but I'm much more likely to put on jeans and a casual shirt with a cardigan than I am to put on dress pants and a button-down shirt. I've been slowly but surely culling down my clothing stash to respectable, non-hoarder standards. I'm pretty proud of myself.

I'm learning to play with what I have instead of needing something new. Borrow for special occasions. Giveaway the sizes that don't fit. Pay attention when someone mentions a need that you could potentially meet with something in your closet. What a blessing!

It's so much more fun to see one of your friends wearing something you gave them than to stare at it hanging in your closet.

But -

Occasionally, it's fun to get something new and pretty (semi-practical). Today, these two things arrived for me in mail. I can't wait to add them to my small(er) and improved wardrobe.




Sadly, it appears that the necklace I bought (which was totally on sale) is (already!) no longer available. However, if you have the skills, this tutorial tells you how to make it. (Seriously, people are so amazingly crafty.)

I feel like I'm slowly but surely figuring out how to make a love of fashion work for me, instead of me idolizing working for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts.