Friday, April 8, 2011

Week in Review, Recipe Style

Filled With Praise
 
Today, I'm joining up with My Week in Review at Filled With Praise. (After initially hitting on a few high school and college acquaintance blogs who pursued adoption, it has been an absolute joy to read so many other stories of God's faithfulness through adoption!)

High:
This has been a week of calm productivity at our house. The hubs and I cooked dinner each night, exercised, and walked the dog together (one of our favorite things to do). We have some exciting things happening this weekend (Palmetto 200, anyone? The hubs is starting his portion of the race in a few hours.) and next week, but this week was just good.

Last Sunday, I scored 5 lbs of ground turkey breast for $19.99 at my local Super Bi-Lo. (I think $4/lb is pretty great, especially since ground turkey freezes so simply.) On Wednesday night, we made this recipe, one of our favorites (and originally scored from a magazine...that I don't remember, so I can't give true credit).

Turkey Patties (serves 4)
1 lb ground turkey
1/4 cup panko crumbs
1 egg white
2 tablespoons minced scallions
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (We've only used dried (and lessened the amount); works fine.)
Zest, juice of one lemon
1 tablespoon canola oil
1) In a large bowl, blend ground turkey with panko, egg white, scalliona, garlic, soy sauce, parsley, lemon zest and juice. Shape into 4 equal patties.
2) Heat canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook turkey patties for about 5 to 7 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Enjoy!

Low:
I've been bearing the burden of feeling "out of control." Quite a few things are happening on our little family's life, as well as the lives of people that are close to us, that I want to fix or change or solve but instead are beyond my control (job hunts, relationships between parents and children, doctor follow-ups, not to mention the craziness that is the news!). I don't like that feeling, and honestly, I let fear creep in too quickly (No happy-go-lucky gal here.), but I know instead I need to lean on my Savior. His mercies are new every morning.

Lesson:
A constant cry of Psalm 16, my current scripture memorization goal.

"I say to the LORD, “You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing.”...LORD, you alone are my portion and my cup; you make my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. I will praise the LORD, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. I keep my eyes always on the LORD. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken."
Psalm 16:2, 5-9


5 comments:

  1. Thank you for linking up. It is nice to meet you and to read about your week in review.
    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from Amy's! That's a beautiful scripture and a wonderful lesson. We've had a great week of productivity too! :)

    Lauren
    www.poppielane.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had read this yesterday...I was really struggling with worry about what was going to take place for us, since Harold told me Thurs. night that since he's an intern and a "non-essential" that he was probably going to be furloughed, which threw me in to panic mode. For what it's worth we really have no savings and my job definitely won't pay the bills...so I was in a black haze.

    I love those verses though, they are just what I needed to read this morning to keep myself in check today. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, I just had to post again! I found these verses while reading in Luke this morning and while I have read them many times before they seemed particularly appropriate today :)

    Then Jesus said to his disciples: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. For life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest? Consider how the wild flowers grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you—you of little faith! And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well. Luke 12:22-31 NIV 2010

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visiting from Amy's. Hope to finish my post for tomorrow! I can totally relate to your low and lesson learned. I just journaled about those specific Scriptures last week. I, too, feel overwhelmed and out of control...for different reasons...mainly related to parenting and busyness and no family in town, but I just continue to try to make it work apart from Him...going days without His Word is not.a.good.thing.

    Have enjoyed your blog tonight and hope to "chat" again soon!
    Blessings,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts.