Monday, July 4, 2011

Miscellany on a Holiday Monday

After a few weeks off, I'm joining back in on the Miscellany Monday fray.

1) 30-day challenge - complete.
I committed to running (run/walking) for 30 days. And, I did it. I even gained a new running partner; Elizabeth and I dug our rear ends out the door M/W/F, which made solo runs on T/Th so much more pleasant. (Also, my dear hubs ran with me each day of our vacation. No small feat as I'm pretty grumpy in the mornings.) I'm not sure completing my "streak" reflects dedication as much as it reflects a stubbornness insistence on following through, but regardless, challenge embraced and completed.

This month, I'm going to stick with our M/W/F run/walking schedule, but introduce some weight training back into the routine. I think I will also sign up for a race. Sometimes you need a goal.

2) New wheels
We are now a two-car family again. We sold my car to my nephew in late May, with full intentions to find a replacement within a week or two. It actually took a full month, but the results were worth it. We were approaching this car purchase Dave Ramsey-style, so we had a very specific budget. We also only agreed on a few types of cars. After Craigslist and CarTrader searches and visits to dealerships, we ended up using a auto broker. The guy we used was a friend of a friend, so he came highly recommended. The process was simple. We told him what we wanted and our budget, and he hunted down cars that fit our criteria. That second part took some patience. Welcome to the family, new guy. (New to us - he's a 05 4Runner Limited.)


Exactly ten years to the month after I started driving the Civic, we sold her to someone who wears pre-made cut off jean shorts, v-neck shorts, and only knows girls with first names that sound like last names. The times (and fashion trends) are a changin'. Thanks for being my third arm for ten years, Civic. Have fun with your new partner in crime.


Yes, I'm getting sentimental about a car.

3) Papa Murphy's Pizza
This needs no explanation. I am obsessed. When I was first introduced (two months ago), I did not understand why you'd want to buy pizza that you had to go home and cook yourself. Now I know why - because it's amazing.


Please try the Herb Chicken Mediterranean deLite. I promise. I would not steer you wrong.

4) Go Gamecocks
After a long, well-played session, my Gamecocks grabbed the 2011 College Worlds Series championship. Two years in a row. Slightly less stressful than last year's series, but so fun to watch regardless.

5) Happy 4th!
We're off to grill out and shoot fireworks. (No points for originality.) I am thankful for the holiday, and I plan to enjoy it. I also want to remember what it means.

(Taken by the hubs at the Navy Memorial, D.C.)

Miscellany Monday @ lowercase letters

2 comments:

  1. oh i love your new SUV! congrats :) and i absolutely love this: "we sold her to someone who wears pre-made cut off jean shorts, v-neck shorts, and only knows girls with first names that sound like last names" .. you are too funny!

    new follower, please stop on by..
    http://penelopeblue.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! congrats on finishing the 30 day shred! that is SO exciting (you're so, so much stronger than me :P)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts.