Thursday, July 14, 2011

Home improvement: Part 2

In addition to the newly painted bookshelf, we also spruced up the dining room - with art. 

I like art. I don't have any painting/drawing skills, but I love the idea of having authentic art in our home. Unfortunately, that's expensive.

(I gave my husband the slient treatment for the better part of the four-hour drive from Asheville to Charleston because he denied me the purchase of a $400 piece of artwork. It was our first anniversary trip, and I was convinced that this sum of money was completely entirely worth it. Yeah, I had to apologize later.)

So, I'm always on the hunt for prints, photos, etc. that have meaning or reflect some part of our family. On Memorial Day, I stumbled upon this Etsy shop, called Mapity, featuring photos of locations on a map, with a vintage feel. And I was in love. After a bit of husband sweet talking, I picked out four prints:

Pearl Harbor (HI): He was here before we met.
Atlanta: I was here before we met.
San Francisco: We got in engaged here.
Charleston. We live here now.

Here's a close up of the San Francisco print:
We hung them on Saturday afternoon (along with a mirror that had been leaning against the wall on top of a cheapo Target entry table for the better part of a year). I think it makes the dining room complete.

Before

After
 

(12 x 12 frames and mats from here.)

5 comments:

  1. Aww I love these prints! Great decorating idea Sydney! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey sweet girl!!! i want that print. especially since it's of my homeland. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. The map thing is a GREAT idea! So cute and decorative!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts.