Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Great Bedroom (Design) Debate

B and I worked together to pick the paint colors for each room in our house.

We picked a neutral vibrant tan for the dining room, and this color for the great room and kitchen:

Sherwin Williams Essential Gray

I like the latter so much that I would happily use again in our next house. In the bedrooms we used a bit more color, including a rich gray blue in the bedroom. 

This is an older picture, but it gives you an idea of the color.

Unfortunately, we painted the house before we were married, and therefore before I moved in, so I didn't realize that despite two windows, that room doesn't get much sun, save a couple hours each day. So, add a rich gray blue, and it's down right dark. Thankfully, the room is plenty large enough to support a darker color (if you're of the mindset that dark colors make a room look smaller), but I'm not convinced it's the right color for the room when we put it on the market.

Of course, the hubs really doesn't want to repaint (or pay someone else to do it). So, the other morning he offered up this little nugget:

"You know what an easier way to lighten up the bedroom would be? We could replace our [brown] duvet with a lighter one."

He just tossed that out there. As if I'd nod and move along with my life. It's almost as if he disregarded that that was practically license to buy new bed linens.

So, I've been browsing. Realistically, I may not get to pull the trigger, but the combination of colors and ruffles and masculine details companies are selling is making the interior designer in me drool.




And my ultimate favorite find:



While walking our dog last night, I reminded the hubs about the new duvet/quilt comment. I told him I'd found a few options. In turn, he called me "the human elephant" (because I never forget).

I do love a good compliment.

Also, thoughts on the above options? (I definitely think cream/gray is a safer bet than white.)

2 comments:

  1. This is sooooo funny! I would be the exact same way! I like the last pic but white with creative pillows is always exciting too!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts.