Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Home improvement: Part 1

The blog world - and HGtv - have ruined me. Too many good ideas lurking around every corner. As a result, I'm constantly announcing to my husband "what I'm going to do." But, I never actually do it. Until now.

This is our living room.

In the top upper corner, there is a boring brown bookshelf with glass doors. I bought it used before B and I got married for maybe $40; I was drawn to the mid-century look. It's older, but it was definitely made after the advent of laminate furniture, because it isn't solid wood. A couple months ago, I decided I wanted to (spray) paint it a robin's egg blue. This Saturday, I bit the bullet, and I did it. The result isn't quite what I anticipated. I expected the satin spray paint I used to still have a slight sheen to it; in reality, it's definitely a matte finish. However, for the amount of time, money, and effort put into the project, I'm really glad I did it. It adds a pop of color and interest to the room.

With the help of the hubs, I drug it out into the cul-de-sac to sand it and spray paint it.



I used fine sand paper, and I quickly passed over it with a cloth and rubbing alcohol to get the resulting dust off before I painted it. Is this the right way or the best way? No clue, which makes me doubtful, but it worked.

I paused between sanding and spray painting for a "cherry coke" icee. (I am currently obsessed, and the sweet hubs grabbed one for me while also fetching rubbing alcohol - after telling me that, "No, hydrogen peroxide and rubbing alcohol are not interchangable.")

 (Gross and sandy.)

(It holds my cookbooks and a few coffee mugs we've picked up on our travels.)


I think I will step away from the spray paint for a while. But, seriously, it's pretty fun.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! :) I'll be sure to call you for advice and maybe even some company when I get to the refinishing point of a few pieces that I have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, Syd! I sure wish we had great thrift furniture here. It's actually mucho expensive. Good job being crafty, lady!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts.