Wednesday, June 1, 2011

I don't think her name is Charlotte.

This morning I turned on the sprinkler to water our hydrangeas. When it returned to turn it off, I was met face-to-face with this girl. She's no joke.


I loved Charlotte's Web, so sI'd prefer to think that spiders aren't all bad. Maybe she's spinning a web for some pig.


I would never want to find her in my shoe or on my arm or crawling in my direction. (I'm the person who turns any shoe left in the garage upside-down and bangs liberally to ensure all crawling things get out of dodge.) However, hanging out on her web, she looked pretty peaceful.

Does anyone happen to know if she is a brown recluse? Also, whatever you do, don't google "brown recluse spider bites." Ugh.

When I'm not becoming the world's next great nature photographer (ummm...yeah), I'm busy getting back on the exercise bandwagon. I didn't fall off it entirely - I was doing something at least 3-4 times a week. But, obviously, it wasn't enough, because my shorts from last summer didn't seem to fit as well. So, it's time to crack down. The hubs offered to run with me yesterday (which is truely a labor of love for him), and we "wogged" 3 miles (2 mins running, 4 mins walking, repeat).

Seriously, May 31 is not the day to start an outdoor exercise routine in the south. But, when I looked at myself in the mirror-post wog, I remembered I liked the red face that comes from sweating it out jog-style. So, this morning, I laced up the shoes to part two. Ugh - again. Red again. Strange satisfaction again.

For me, running (run/walking, jogging) is the best way for me to reach/maintain my preferred weight. (In fact, I lost 20 pounds the year prior to meeting my husband training for and completing a half marathon with Team In Training Atlanta. If given the opportunity, please participate. You won't regret it.) To ensure I'm back on the bandwagon, I'm signing up for a 5K race in a couple months (and maybe treating myself to some new running shorts).

All of this talk of running seems appropriate since it's apparently National Running Day.

Tomorrow, I hope to have an update on our car hunt. So far, it's out of our price range or doesn't fit our criteria. But, we're staying strong. I hope Dave Ramsey would be proud.

2 comments:

  1. Interestingly, when I googled 'brown recluse' a UCR website popped up. According to it, a brown recluse would never build a web out in the open. Maybe that's how it got its name.

    Also, this map says you're not in an area where they should be.
    http://spiders.ucr.edu/images/colorloxmap.gif

    Hope this assuages some fears. I think I saw a black widow at work a couple days ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I feel much better. Thanks for being my "Chacha". (Wasn't that the name of that phone question/answer thing?) Please stay away from the black widow.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts.